Thursday, October 25, 2012

Introduction: Let There Be Lips!

The internet is awash with sites about movies.

We've got IMDB for reference, rottentomatoes for editorials, Wikipedia for fact-checking. In between these skyscrapers lie smaller structures, the reviewers. There are positive reviewers, gushing about things they like. There are negative reviewers, railing about things they don't. I don't need to tell you which is more popular.

So bad it's good has gone past being a cultural phenomenon and is now simply something that is. It's understood, accepted, and even embraced to seek out something you know is bad and watch it anyway, deriving pleasure in spite of the obstacles that lie in your way. Joel and his robots would be proud.

In the wake of this, there are a great many talented reviewers all over the world posting humorous reviews of the worst of the worst, mocking the Ed Woods and Roger Cormans and doing a fine job of it, the material has much to offer.

Don't take this to mean that I think it's easy to review these sorts of movies. In fact, I believe just the opposite. I'm sure it's especially difficult to review things like this precisely because they're as popular as they are today. If sat down in a room playing "Plan 9 from Outer Space"  what could I possibly say about it that hadn't been said before?

I don't say this to re-re-retread the idea that there is nothing new under the sun, primarily because I don't believe it to be true.

ASIDE: Allow me to use this opportunity to demonstrate my asides. They will be a regular occurrence in my entries here. I don't believe there is such a thing as an impartial audience. We're all consuming fiction through the lens of our own lives and experiences and identities, and simply because I call myself a reviewer, I don't think it's fair to say that I'm different. Rather than glossing over my own personal views on things, or pretending they don't exist and that I'm giving a purely objective stance on something, I will call myself out on my own views and explain them to the best of my ability. They won't always be objective, and admitting that is the first step of an honest examination of something. If I pretend that I as a reviewer am no different from any other reviewer, then it means I'm admitting I have nothing worthwhile to say. This is the space I'll be using to talk about it when I notice my own views affecting how I consume something.

I don't think the idea of nothing new is true because it's saying combining things that already exist into something else isn't creation. By that token, making a cake out of eggs, sugar, flour, and other things isn't making something new, nor is mixing chemicals to get a reaction, words to get a sentence, or actors and ideas to get a movie.

I don't think I can believe this and be interested in art. Just because an idea's been expressed before doesn't mean there's never a way to add to it or present it in a new way.

Instead, what I'd like to do is something that I haven't seen as much of. As will become apparent in future installments, I have watched lots of movies, television shows, internet reviewers, read lots of books, blogs, and sites, and I haven't seen much of this. Not to say it doesn't exist, just that I think it's something that can set this blog apart from the crowd.

Instead of looking at specifics, I would like to use this blog to talk about generalities. I don't mean I want to be vague instead of incisive, but that I'd rather talk about causes as opposed to effects. Instead of talking about why a specific character doesn't work in the story, I'd rather talk about why that character as an archetype isn't working here, and talk about what makes up that archetype.

It'll make sense once I get started, really. It's like trying to describe how to use chopsticks to someone, eventually you give up and just show them.

As anyone who works on the internet must, I am of course willing to take suggestions. If there's ever any show, movie, book, or other form of fictional media out there you'd like me to talk about, go ahead and tell me about it.

I'll try to have a new post up at least once a week, and if interest flags and I need to change my approach, let me know. I am writing for others, of course, and the goal for a piece of media is to entertain the audience.

I hope you and I both have fun here. Welcome, and as it says in the title:

Let there be lips!


No comments:

Post a Comment